Friday, October 8, 2010

This Blog is Half True (except for the end part)

The other day I was having a conversation with my friend Barb about, you know, all the usual girly stuff: The arc of life, karmic patterns we repeat, the existence of god, and shoes. She said she wasn’t at all airy-fairy, had never been to a psychic (can you imagine?) but asked if I believed at all in astrology. Yes! I said. Well, usually. I added. Actually, sometimes not. The truth is…I told her, I think everything is 50% true, whether it be religion, politics, Nurture-vs-Nature, the Secret, the Power of Positive Thinking, Karma, The Bible, Reality shows.

I mean, yes, I believe there is something to the alignment of the stars and the way it affects us. The moon affects the tide, farmers plant according to the cycles of the moon. So why not? Gravitational pull and all, I do believe we’re affected. But I don’t believe most of the astrological crap on the internet or in entertainment magazines. So, you know…I believe in half of it.

I believe in the good parts of most religions, and as far as I can see, the basic tenets are the same. Be a good person, don’t steal,cheat, lie, kill people (unless, of course, you need to steal their country or stomp out their religion). But then there are the parts about selling your daughter into slavery and smiting your neighbor for…I don’t know, things like wearing a fabric made of two fibers or eating shellfish. And no one really knows who or what God is or who EXACTLY wrote the Bible and who EXACTLY has tampered with it throughout history….and since it is written by man, and we humans are flawed by nature, it is certainly prone to error and the influence of a certain scribe’s own perceptions or political intentions. I mean, Glenn Beck has written a lot of books, he considers himself inspired by God…and it frightens me to think that in 2000 years someone could find his book in a cave somewhere and uphold it as an absolute truth. So…again, 50% belief there.

I believe that politics is mostly a game of power, but that some people go into to it for truly altruistic reasons, or some go in for 50% altruistic reasons and 50% power reasons. I believe half of what politicians say, and half of what the talking heads say. (The hard part is figuring out which half to believe.)

I do believe in the power of positive thinking (the Secret and Tony Robbins and all that). I mean, yeah, it’s great to believe in something good and put all your intention there. But then, shit happens. Your business burns down, a hurricane hits, people betray you out of nowhere…and no positive thinking can prevent some of that stuff. So, you know, it’s all good, but still, only half of the picture.

But let me tell you what I believe in 100%. I believe in the power of love. This is not some cheesy cliché or song lyric, I mean this wholeheartedly because I am living it. I have been knocked down so hard this year, by many more things than I reveal in my blogs, and I’ll be damned if every time I wasn’t scooped up by loving arms and put back on my feet. Love is what strengthened and healed me. I can’t find anything about love to not believe in. Not even 10% doubt.

Something else I believe in 100% - my husband. Because the other day, when I was in tears feeling completely defeated as my relationships and appliances were all exploding at the same time, I sobbed I’m losing everything. He took my hand and simply said, “Love wins.”

And even today, as one of my best friends is going through a heartbreaking awful experience, as are many of my sweet friends, I know we will all make it to the other side of this, because we’ll hold hands, form a chain and walk through that fire together. Because LOVE WINS.

And for anyone who might be mad at me for what I said about the Bible, please know that although I struggle with it every day, I have great respect for those of you with good solid faith. Truly. And anyway, like I said at the beginning of this blog…everything is only half true, so you can throw out the parts of this blog that you don’t like.

Except for the love part. That part is absolutely true.

Trust me on that one.

LOVE WINS.
200%.

9 comments:

  1. Beauty, beauty, beauty. I love the whole blog. 200%.

    But I also love your philosophy -- both the believe half of it part and the love wins part. You are SO right in my world. And because you are a holder of hands and a scooper into circles and a supporter of friends, you will have no dearth of people willing to form that chain and walk through that fire with you. Count me in.

    xo Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Hollye. I loved meeting you and feel we will be friends forever. Take heart love does win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect, Dexter! Love wins! Love Rules! Love Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FABulous post Hollye. Love does win. The rest is a crap shoot. If you play your very best on a team and they lose anyway well....things happen to people to test them for what who knows and how many times do they need to be tested and who is doing the testing? I adore Albert Brooks and His Movie 'Defending your Life' made my head spin scared the crap out of some of my friends. I am either so far down in hell or floating somewhere until I do what based on who. I do what I want and need to do based on me. Family and Friends are there to get you thru whatever as long as the person is also willing to accept, not push away or be a poor pity me person.
    You and your family are loved much and even though we have never met Cyber friends can tell by what they see on someones posts, or read on their wall or blog. You are a true spirit and love will always surround you because you give to others and they return the pay back no questions asked. That is how the world should be but sadly it is not. Therefore you Win Hollye for you are Love♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. This week I was broken and from the love and words of some friends and family members, including you, I feel like I'm being glued slowly back together. Love IS everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well said....well well said...and I agree with you...Love is really all thats real..isnt it? The rest is just.......not important. You rock Hollye!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love is all we need!
    well said. well said.

    Sadly, we don't have to wait 2000 years. Some people already accept Glen Beck's word as gospel. Groooooosssss! And scary.

    The love you share with your husband is so inspiring. I'm sure it plays a big part in the way you really do emanate love. When I saw you in person, I noticed not a hint of all the unplanned hindrances in your life right now. Just love.
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your point of view- thank you for taking the time to comment and be part of the conversation!
love,
Hollye